3.09.2009

Snowglobe

Whenever I am indoors on a snowy white wintry day and look outside my window, I feel like I am peering into a life-sized snowglobe. It's almost dreamlike at first, just seeing all the millions of snowflakes fall from the sky. But then once I take a step outside, it becomes a reality that the snow will soon enough become slushy and messy. It's almost unfortunate how I grew up in a relatively year-round warm climate. My first year living in New England was a rude awakening - the novelty of snow lasted for about and only three days. Soon thereafter, I realized how awful it was to live in a city that the snow favored to fall upon. Trudging through the snow and slush was unimaginable. Three years later (actually minus one year from being abroad) and I am surprisingly still not as bitter about the weather as I had expected. And even though I sit here complaining about having to commute to/fro work in the snow, the mere thought of the first snowfall gets to me - the pure beauty of it .. the amazingly stillness and silence that it possesses. Call me crazy, but the memory of the first snowfall makes the snow right now and all future snowfalls that much prettier and worthwhile.
--
a

0 comments:

Post a Comment