5.12.2009

Best of Both Worlds

Something I am learning more and more each year is how vastly different each field of study is - everything ranging from Architecture to Zoology. I feel like I am fortunate enough to be able to get a taste of two worlds at the same time. When I applied to NU, I applied to study business administration. I never knew if I would actually keep up with it, since all throughout high school I thought I would end up in an art school in New York where I could study jewelry design. But after many rational thinking sessions and chats with my parents, I was more compelled to study something that I could "fall back on" no matter what industry I go into. It makes so much more sense now that I think about it. Why do parents always have to be right? Haha. But back at the time, I was lost and confused with what I wanted to do in life (still am!) so I pursued business with a marketing concentration mainly because I refused to go into finance or accounting.

My first semester was surprisingly intense to me since most of my other friends back home were still in general studies courses until they could apply to their program of choice. NU is special in the way that it nurtures ambitious students who KNOW what they want to do. If they don't know in the beginning, they will finish knowing. I learned from the get-go that I needed to get my act put together, and fast. After a brief bout of wanting to switch over to Nursing, I decided I would be happier if I pursued a creative field while I was still young and inspired. That is when I decided to have a Graphic Design minor put into my schedule. It worked out seamlessly, almost as if it was meant to happen that way all along. Although I haven't been in crazy lose-all-my-sleep-over design classes (yet), I am really thankful to be a part of the art world where creative energy is constantly buzzing around and something that I can thrive off of. It is the perfect balance for me since I am neither an avid Wall Street Journal-reading sort of girl, nor am I someone who lives at the studio constantly working on and improving projects.

Throughout the years, I have taken note of significant differences within the two fields of studies in terms of infrastructure, administration, peers, and interaction. One is very structured with strict policies of attendance and participation, and it upholds a certain air that maybe only business students can understand (the constant networking and trying to 'sell yourself' to others as being a valuable asset, mainly without realizing it). The other one is more frivolous and lax with a little bit more leeway with deadlines and punctuality (as long as it a job well done). It is really amusing to compare the emails I get from both departments. For example, I just received an email from the art director who was confirming my placement in a course I requested, and it basically said: "Hi A, You are registered for GD. j." Neither of our full names were written out, haha (and this is the DIRECTOR). If that sort of email circulated around the business folks, there would be something terribly wrong.

Despite the copious amount of differences between the two, I am thankful that I am able to be a part of both worlds since I am gaining an assimilated education with a practical side and a creative side (something that is very similar to my personality). I can't help but think that my options in life have doubled as opposed to being pigeonholed to just one. Nothing wrong with one - it really works for some people - but knowing that I am the type of person who needs to experience all sorts of different things, it works out well. That's what it is ultimately all about in the end for me - knowing who I am, acknowledging and understanding what I enjoy, and doing everything I can to pursue it. I am recycling a quote I posted earlier on but it is from one of my favorite books by Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist. "When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person achieve his dream."

That is enough babbling from me today. :)
Happy Tuesday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment