5.08.2009

Currently Listening to...

...a sweet song.

It's called "Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop" by Landon Pigg.

I think I am inspired to continue learning the guitar again.

About four summers ago, I spent many afternoons with a few friends just jamming - listening to, attempting to, chilling to. That is when my newfound obsession for the acoustic sound came about. At the time, I was playing the violin for my high school orchestra and the drums for my youth group praise team. I knew for a fact I wouldn't continue to pursue either instrument in college, yet I still yearned to pick something up to keep my musical juices flowing. So that is when I decided to purchase my own guitar. It was right around the end of summer, just a few weeks before I would embark on the new chapter of my life in college. The first full song I learned by myself was by Green Day - "Time of Your Life." Since then, I have only learned a handful of songs by Lifehouse, Oasis, Yellowcard, Relient K, and very few chords. My music taste was pretty much restricted to that genre. Interesting to see how much it has expanded since then. I think after hearing so many different songs and attending a variety of concerts, I can't help but engage and dabble in the endless genres out there - each and every one is so unique and inspirational in their own way. Each song strikes a different chord and emotion inside of me. If it wasn't for music, my life would be terribly bland. I am so so so thankful to have ears to listen to such beautiful melodies and amazing beats, and also to have lyrics, notes, and chords resonate in my head/heart throughout the day. I think the best part about music is the community it builds - listening to a song with lyrics that make it seem like it was specifically written for you helps you remember that you are never alone. It is one of the most comforting thoughts, ever.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

paul is so in love with this song. it's been on repeat ever since he's discovered the att commercial.

Gloria said...

"All art is a subjective experience, but music is the only art form that can really be experienced in nearly every imaginable context and circumstance. And when just the right music, context, and circumstance come together, the experience can be profoundly inexplicably magical."

WORD.

Alli said...

^ash: oooh, i haven't seen the commercial but now i will look out for it. i love seeing a favorite song on screen

^glor: haha, WORD. love the quote, thanks for sharing :)

Post a Comment