From rain to snow to hail, the weather was very indecisive in Boston today. Although I would've liked to hibernate the whole day through, I have been pushing off my grocery shopping for more than a week so I forced myself to brave the cold and make it to Trader Joe's. Not the greatest day to run errands, but I was really excited to come back home to make a recipe I've been pushing off as well (oh, the busy college student working life). After trying the French Onion Soup at Brasserie Jo on Huntington Ave, I knew I had to attempt to make it at home since I could only spot 4 main ingredients. As I predicted, it was a very simple recipe to try out! And it turned out to be the perfect day to stay in and eat this yummy, comfort food!
Prep Time: 30 minutes // Cook Time: 45 minutes // Level: Easy // Yield: 4-6 bowls of soup
Ingredients
- 8 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 1 loaf French bread
- 2 cups grated Gruyere
Directions
Saute onions and garlic in oil over low heat until tender and golden yellow. Sprinkle flour over onions, cook a few minutes more, browning the flour well. Add stock and wine and bring to a boil, add thyme and bay leaf. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Meanwhile, slice French bread into 3/4-inch slices and butter both sides. Toast slices on griddle until golden brown. Ladle soup into an ovenproof bowl, add toasted bread and cover with cheese. Place ovenproof bowl on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Bake at 350 degrees F or 5 minutes under a hot broiler.
---

3 comments:
I have been craving french onion soup so bad these days!! I bought gruyere, but ate half of it instead of using it for soup hehe. Will try Paula's recipe soon =)
Yum!!! Do you have leftovers? hahaha
i love how the soup is in a jjigae bowl lol so korean :)
Wow I didn't even know Paula Dean had recipes that didn't include butter. Nom nom.
Post a Comment