11.05.2009

Study Break: The MFA

After a few hours of digesting information about Marketing Research for an exam tomorrow, I decided to take a study break... The first thing that came to mind was to walk over to the MFA (Museum of Fine Arts), located conveniently right by school. During my freshman year of college, I made it a point to visit the MFA at least once a month (free for Boston college students!) since my Visual Arts professor claimed it was one of the best museums in the country. As for senior year, I am almost ashamed to say that today was my first time there this semester! Eep. The new wing currently being constructed looks really amazing and it's exciting to see how the inside is changing, as well. I didn't look around the galleries today, but instead I went straight for the gift shop. I love getting lost in the classical art posters, new books, postcards, eclectic jewelry pieces, and the little gizmos+gadgets in the children's section. I selected a few Graphic Design books to get some inspiration for my next project (super excited about it! will blog about it next time) and came across one called Color & Layout: From Asparagus White to Burnt Olive. The name was what caught my eye, and after skimming through it, it has now moved to my "Books to Buy" mental list. Here is the book description I found on Harper Collins' site:

"Each color is a world that posses its own language, history, politics, and laws. Some—like blue—are diplomatic and adept at foreign relations. Others—like red or black—are solitary and individualistic. The list of adjectives for describing color could go on forever.


Color & Layout is a vibrant, sensitive, and poetic journey through the universe of colors, showcasing graphic works from across the globe. This riveting collection features stunning full-color examples of designed layouts, detailing how the color spectrum is organized, expanded, and manipulated. It reveals how color evokes memories, moods, sentiments, and desires, and takes an in-depth look at the striking usage of color in propaganda, journalism, and advertising campaigns. Both beautiful and informative, Color & Layout is a must-have resource for graphic designers, artists, illustrators, and advertisers alike."

I loved how they brought color to life -- literally. They personified each color as if each had a strong and unique personality. One of my favorite ones to read was From Peony to Pink Panther. Some snippets I wrote down were:

Like all dreamers, it goes through periods of euphoria and others of melancholy.

It believes in miracles and has a sweet tooth.

Reality bores me.

Oh, and they have the new pop up version of The Little Prince!!! 10% off right now. Perfect excuse to venture back there soon. :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment