12.02.2009

CT On My Mind

With World AIDS Day yesterday, a stream of Cape Town memories has been flashing in my head. It is an understatement to say I miss being there. I wrote a blog entry earlier this year (which has now been made public again!) when I realized it had been a whole year since living in the beautiful country of South Africa. My heart aches to go back there and when people ask if I could imagine myself living there, I never hesitate to say YES. I am excited for them to host the World Cup in 2010, but I find myself sinking into curiosity when I imagine how life will be post-World Cup. I imagine a boosted economy, full of many more tourists, and an experience that will never match the one I had pre-World Cup...potentially even a tainted one? Selfish, I know. But ultimately, I am completely supportive of the World Cup being there - it will be great exposure and I'm positive many others will grow to love the country too.

Back to homework, but I will leave you with a photo I took at the District 6 Museum in Cape Town.

"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly."
-Langston Hughes

2 comments:

SK said...

I love that quote! As much as I don't really like birds... I really like bird metaphors... and chrome bird figurines haha.

I'm sure Cape Town will change a bit but not too much! Just think about how awesome it will be to see how much the country developed. I remember Korea pre-WC and post-WC and things didn't change too much :)

Alli said...

sk - For some reason .. I always associate you and birds as a LOVE relationship, hahaha. I don't know why, but it confuses me everytime you say you don't like them lol. The fact you can draw them well may be part of the reason why I assume so!

And you're right about the World Cup change - I don't think it will be terribly drastic, and if anything, the change will be beneficial. But STILL! I think it's cause I have a specific memory of CT and I never want it to change (haha, here I go - selfishness again!). I guess we'll see though :)

Post a Comment