6.17.2010

BODIES, the Exhibition

Yesterday was one of those days where the fun didn't seem to stop. I loved every minute of it, especially since I stepped out of the 'burbs and back into the amazing city of Atlanta. Although I lived in Georgia practically my entire life, I only occasionally go into the city... but when I do, I discover a newfound love for it. Made a few stops at Atlantic Station, a very quick happy hour at RA, explored the BODIES exhibition (AHHHHMAZING), ate dinner at Tim Drum, watched The Karate Kid remake with Jaden Smith + Jackie Chan (surprisingly good!), and ended the night winding down at Taco Mac.

The BODIES exhibition was so unreal, even though it was the most real thing I've ever seen. A little ironic. The gallery is a first class view of what the body looks like from the inside out and how the body is ultimately a system where each part is programmed with a specific purpose.

Some facts I jotted down while viewing the exhibition:
  • There are 206 bones in the body
  • If all the muscles in your body worked together, you could lift more than 10 tons
  • Think of muscle fibers as guitar strings that the body is constantly tuning to maintain muscle tone
  • By the time you are 70 years old, you will have taken at least 600 million breaths
  • On average a pack of cigarettes takes 3 hours and 40 minutes off your life (this fact hit hard, especially since they displayed two cases: one healthy lung and one smoker's lung. the contrast was scary)
  • All human DNA is 99.9% the same - that means there is only a 0.1% difference in the human genetic code between you and the person most different from you
  • The male sperm is the smallest cell in the human body; the female egg is the largest
  • A woman is born with all the eggs she'll ever have
It's like anatomy you've never seen before. It gave me a real kick in the rear to be more conscious of my health and to do everything I can to keep my body healthy and strong. I recommend this exhibition to anyone, especially health science people!

2 comments:

SK said...

I remember seeing this exhibit at USC in high school! Oh wow it was mind blowing then... and when I see the posters it just reminds me again of how mind blowing it is!

I really like the DNA fact. Something to keep in mind when the whole world is competing against one another. In the end, we're all the same!

Shukura Li said...

i hEARED about this and saw adverts
my friends actually went to go and see it

i dont know how she did it iwudda thrrew up =s
shukura

Post a Comment