3.12.2009

Restaurant Review I : Snappy Sushi

Snappy Sushi (formerly known as Shino Express) - 144 Newbury St.
[aka my favorite sushi joint in Boston because of its obscure hole-in-the-wall location + its great value]
---
This place never fails me.
The only downfall is its limited seating area, and a very tight one at that, but that can easily be overlooked when you have good food in good company.
With its bright tangerine walls, casual bar stools and countertops, array of colorful sushi grade fish on display, and its staff always scurrying back and forth to maintain good service, it is no wonder that this place is always packed. It may almost be an illusion because I swear, it can only seat 20 people. 25 at most. But regardless, this place always seems to have a line during peak dining hours. Based on personal experience, I find that early dinners around 6 have the least waiting time, as well as an obscure time in the afternoon for a somewhat of a brunch .. or a linner (= lunch + dinner. or dunch? haha, no never mind. that sounds sillier).

Apart from its laid-back ambience, this place serves great sushi. Let's just keep in mind that I am not going to compare it with other sushi restaurants, only because I feel like Snappy Sushi has its own subcategory for its unique branding strategy and menu (they only do brown rice now). I have never had complaints about my food. Okay, no scratch that. I admit to have complained once because my "Tuna Gone Wild" roll took way too long since they were "torching" it - but I honestly think they just forgot about it because I received it about 15 minutes after my friend was DONE with her rolls. Upon being showered with sincere apologies, they were easily forgiven. After all, how can I stay mad at my favorite sushi place in Boston for long?
---
Recommendations
Anything off the "fancy rolls" section - literally. I haven't come across a bad one and I believe I only have one or two left to try. My personal favorites are the Spicy Scallop, Rainbow, and Boston Lobster.

The deluxe combination is a STEAL. It even surprises me that I haven't tried this until last week. You basically get two small tuna rolls, and around 10 pieces of assorted nigiri for under 15 dollars. Can't beat it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment